Friday, July 16, 2010

1st Days In Bejiing!


-funny point of the day: trying to eat with chopsticks with a broken ring finger. could have been a funniest video clip
-when it started to rain today it was crazy. i've been in foreign countries before, where it seems to rain harder than in the us, but this was crazy. we had the wipers on full blast and still couldn't see a darn thing. also, i thought it was funny that almost every single person had an umbrella. it was funny to watch them get off a bus one by one, first sticking their umbrella out the window, opening it up, and then finally stepping off the bus, not before
-there seem to be no rules for driving here, and
(The first family I stayed with, Len and May)
everyone is ok with it. no one gets upset with the
other drivers. you can flip a u turn in the middle of the busy road and everyone will wait for you, well kind of, at least they won't get upset about it (i know because we did it ; ) and I saw others do the same. funny.
-conversing with jenny through the computer translator. I've realized really how little Chinese I know. I'm starting my mission all over again, except maybe less, i can't recognize any writing whatsoever. Crazy, but i'm up to the challenge =)

(One of the people who stopped me and asked if I would take a picture with them ; )


Love you!

Shawn

2 comments:

  1. you can do it shawn! your greatest adventure yet! keep up with the blog if you can. love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey brother! I know what you mean about the driving there. It's harmonious chaos. I felt like I was playing frogger whenever I would cross the street. when I got home it felt so silly to cross at crosswalks. There were some people I went with that didn't know how to use chopsticks. They went hungry the first day, but they were fine after that. Cherish every moment. I know I did

    ReplyDelete